Faces

HP Still Faces the Same Old Problems

HP‘s (NYSE: HPQ) stock recently popped after the PC and printer maker’s third-quarter earnings beat analysts’ expectations. Its revenue declined 2% year-over-year to $14.3 billion, but still beat estimates by $1.01 billion. Its adjusted earnings fell 16% to $0.49 per share, but also topped estimates by $0.06.

Those headline numbers seem weak, but there were a few bright spots throughout HP’s report. Unfortunately, those scattered embers probably won’t ignite a rally anytime soon.

HP’s sign at its campus.

Image source: HP.

HP’s key challenges

HP generated 72% of its revenue in the third quarter from its personal systems business, which sells desktops, laptops, and workstations. The remaining 28% came from its printing business, which sells printers and supplies.

HP’s personal systems business has generated steady growth in recent years, buoyed by stable demand for its higher-end laptops, convertible devices, and gaming PCs. The COVID-19 crisis also lit a

Read More